Judgement of the Day-Sarika v. Administrator, Mahakaleshwar Mandir Committee, Ujjain (M.P.) and Ors.
Sarika v. Administrator, Mahakaleshwar Mandir Committee, Ujjain (M.P.) and Ors.
CIVIL APPEAL NO.4676 OF 2018
The Supreme Court in 2018 had appointed an Expert Committee consisting of experts of Archeological Survey of India and Geological Survey of India Concerning the prevention of erosion of Shivalinga in Shri Mahakaleshwar Temple in Ujjain. The committee was also directed to study other structures and the temple and submit recommendations on steps for overall improvement of entire premises and its preservation. The apex court has been dealing with the issue of protecting the 'Jyotirlingam', a devotional representation of Lord Shiva at the ancient Mahakaleshwar Jyotirlinga temple at Ujjain in Madhya Pradesh and the directions passed today are in tune with monitoring of the compliance of the judgment and order passed on May 2, 2018.
A bench of Justices Arun Mishra, BR Gavai & Krishna Murari issued the following directions for the preservation of the Lingam after taking into account the circumstances of the Report elaborated by Expert Committee as well as the project report prepared by the Ujjain Smart City Ltd:
1. No rubbing should be done and no devotees to be allowed to rub the Shivling;
2. Rubbing of Curd, Ghee & Honey should also be stopped & only pure milk should be allowed to be poured on Shivling
3. If any violations are found to be done by the Pujari's or Purohit, Temple Committee shall take action against them;
4. Temple committee shall provide pure milk from its own resources & pure water and maintain the required pH value.
5. The Temple Committee to ensure that the pH value of Bhasma during the Bhasma Aarti is improved and Shivalingam is preserved from further deterioration and to implement the best methodology to prevent further damage to the Lingam;
6. Weight of Mund Mala and Serpakarnahas is further reduced to preserve the Shivalingam from mechanical abrasion.